Wednesday 11 March 2009

World Cup 7s semi-final

Refereeing the Women's World Cups 7s semi-final between the USA and New Zealand has to have been the quickest 14 minutes of my life.

I can honestly say that I can't remember much of the first half at all. What I do remember is the pre-match build up - something I have never experienced before.

It starts after the last game, when the tournament DJ plays music over the tannoy and whoops the crowd up, all 35,000 of them. The atmosphere is amazing as people enjoy the rugby, the beer, the sun - occasion.
You look out of the tunnel at the pitch, the crowd, the people managing the sideline and then the floor manager (linked up to the live television broadcast) wonders up from the pitch and tells you "two minutes".
The teams come out of the holding rooms (small rooms by the tunnel) and line up, while I look around at my colleagues wondering what the hell I'm about to do. I can't keep still and am like a cat on a hot tin roof. But nerves must not get the better of me.

I then get the signal that we've one minute, and it's then the USA team sing their National Anthem at the top of the voices. The New Zealanders opt for the usual shouting that most teams do, while I get a few pats on the back from other referees with calls of "don't cock it up Daniels!"

That really made me smile and was just what I needed - I was going to enjoy this, whatever happened.

"30 seconds" rings out and my two assistant referees wish me luck, before the floor manager (now standing pitch side) waves his hands about like a film director, counting down "5, 4, 3, 2, 1..."
And then we're off - the teams run out on the pitch, followed by me, the TJs and the in-goal judges. We run past the TV cameraman (I chose not to wear any lip gloss for my debut) and out to the middle. I take a moment to look around the stadium, take a deep breath and soak up the atmosphere, before turning to find the floor manager with his famous red clip board held aloft.
When he drops the clip board you're good to go, and before I know it he does. Kick-off!

And before I know it it's half-time. I honestly cannot recollect any of the first half. It's a close game that is eventually settled with conversions, finishing 14-10 to the Kiwis.

Both teams were class acts, but what really made it for me was the first person to shake my hand after the final whistle was the USA coach. That meant a lot.

So there it was - game over and a World Cup semi-final in the bag.

No comments: