Wednesday 25 March 2009

World Cup 7s - The final


It's great knowing that you've been part of a "first", in whatever field.


And the fact I was part of the first women's world cup 7s final is something special. I ran the line for Gabriel Lee (Hong Kong) and it was a cracking game.


Played between New Zealand and Australia, and going into extra time - first score to win, was a thriller. The whole build-up and the match were great adverts for the sport and, following the conclusion of the men's final (a Welsh victory over Argentina) everyone is buzzing and enjoying the feeling that our work is done.


And so it was time for a shower and clean-up, before plenty of beers in the changing room, where iRB chairman Bernard Lapasset and vice-chairman Bill Beaumont joined in. It was nice of them to come in and congratulate all the officials.


As for the rest of the evening - it was spent celebrating!


A great tournament, great people, great game. Bring on the Olympics!

2 comments:

dmburge said...

Dear Clare

as a big fan of your work I was disappointed to see what I can only be describe as a poor performance at the 7`s women’s world cup final. When I watch the game on the big screen with my sky plus remote in hand I notice a clear foot in touch of the winning Australian try. After about the 7th reply I could see clearly that see was out, why couldn’t you?

I hope that this disappointment does not get you down hearted as it must have been a hard week in the sun for you. I know how you must have been missing out on your local Somerset rugby.

If there is anything that I can do that will help you in your goal of being a national league ref than I will always there to help.

Kindest regards

Clare Daniels said...

Dear Mr DM Burge,

Thank you for your observations from the comforts of your own sofa in Bristol.

Yes, it was a hard week in the sun and only the pull of South West rugby lured me back. How can I ever compare World Cup rugby in Dubai to Weston v Coney Hill. I am truely spoilt.

As to your comments regarding the "foot in touch", I am so pleased to hear that you and Reedy kissed and made up following your training session a few months ago after the two of you appeared to have a little "disagreement".

However, the fact the pair of you rewound your Sky+ to view the Ozzie's match-winning try is concerning to me - you must get out more.

I hear Hornets need some new players. Try an evening out with them!

Failing that, we could do with some new referees - move to the dark side Burgy, you're getting on a bit after all.

Enjoy the summer break!

Clare