Monday 17 August 2009

Time to go to work

Nations Cup Day Two

No-one likes waiting, so Thursday could not come quick enough for me. Finally, after four days, it was my turn to feel the nerves.

A 6.30pm kick-off though, like I mentioned before, presents one major problem - overcoming the anxiety of the wait. Canada versus South Africa was my game, while a Canadian colleague was taking charge of the France against England match at 4.30pm.

Breakfast was followed by a quick trip into town for coffee to break up the feeling of "cabin fever" that can exist when you're staying in one place for so long with not a great deal to do on site.

Lunch quickly came and went and then it was time to get set. The one thing that did concern me was the heat, or to be more accurate, the humidity.
Even at 6.30pm it still feels like 35C and you quickly find yourself "glowing". I was just hoping I didn't expire midway through the game!

Fortunately I did not, and the match unfolded into a cracker, with Canada winning 35-17, although the second half belonged to South Africa.
The Canadians came out of the blocks quickly and put three tries on the board early on, but the South Africans hit back and pushed the hosts all the way in the second period.

Game over and job done. Glad to have got the first game under my belt and, judging by the comments of the Welsh assessor, it was a good evening at the office.

Here's to game day three.

No comments: