Saturday 15 August 2009

Nations Cup


The first full day in Toronto (Sunday) was taken up with Rugby Canada's National Championships - a competition to see who would be crowned under-16, 17 and 19 champions.

And it was an ideal way to run off the flight and give the lungs a blow-out, while dodging the rain storms and mosquitoes. It's almost as if the rain followed from England and the mosquitoes sense fresh blood.

But a good day ensued and I had one appointment in the middle for British Columbia v Newfoundland and Labrador and a TJ and fourth official appointment. The BC v NL match was pretty one-sided, but fun and it beats going for a run.

The day also meant catching up with old faces whom I'd met on my travels over the years, some from the Women's World Cup in 2006, and some from as recent as last year.
And, of course, it also provided the opportunity to meet new people who were also going to be involved in the Nations Cup.

But the lasting memory of the Sunday has to be the huge storm that swept through in the evening. I have never seen anything like it and despite being in the comfort and relative safety of a monster 4x4 pick-up that Rugby Canada had rented for the duration of the tournament, it's fair to say I was petrified. Thunder and lightening like I've never seen, storm clouds as black as the night sky, rain like a power-shower and winds in excess of 100mph.

Toronto's famous CN Tower was hit five times between 7.30pm and 8pm, while we took shelter in a hotel lobby as the storm passed.

And I thought I'd left the rain in England...

No comments: