Monday 29 December 2008

Brass Monkeys

Once or twice I've been so cold in the middle of the pitch that I could barely reach into my pockets to mark a score or pull out a card - my hands have all but died from the cold.

And on Saturday, while perched in the press box at the Bath v Northampton game (which is open to the elements at -3C with the wind chill factor) my fingers gave up all hope of typing the match report. Not so much freezing the ba**s off a brass monkey, more like its fingers.

So when I tentifully answered a call on Sunday to referee on Monday evening, I knew that my first purchase with the Christmas cash accumulated from the big day was looming - a base layer just had to be bought.

And £25 later (not too bad I reckon) I am now the new owner of a nice black base layer and am hoping to God that it keeps me warm this evening.

Whether or not it does the job I will let you know... that's if I survive a 7.30pm KO in a freezing Bridgwater - all the name of getting my eye in for the "big one" on Saturday in National Three.

No comments: