Wednesday 18 February 2009

Watch yourself...

It can be painful, but there are benefits of watching yourself refereeing on DVD.

Once the vanity has been washed aside, and yes - my backside still looks big on the telly, you find yourself bemoaning the apparent ability the television has to make you look a lot slower than you actually are.

One of the benefits of refereeing a National League Three match (number three in my career) is the DVD, and a good quality one at that. And if any aspiring referees out there get the chance to get a game videoed - do it.

The voiceover enlightens you to the amount of waffle that one gabbles (me - waffle?), and you soon begin to realise that much of what you say is not for the benefit of the players, but you - the referee.

The art of communication and reducing "white noise" is an ongoing one for me, as is the progress of my pace and acceleration. And the DVD means there's no hiding place!

But, in my defence your honour, a quicker game requires smarter running lines and better game anticipation - and so it is here I will be focusing my thoughts ahead of my game on Sunday.

As for the 7-a-side game - my trip to the Rugby World Cup 7s in Dubai is less than two weeks away, and so there really is no excuse to miss sprint training.... oh what joy.

Dubai corner: Two weeks

Weight loss: Overall 4lbs - not quite the dizzy heights I was aiming for.
Alcohol intake: Three bottles of lager and three glasses of wine - not good after a two-week abstention.
Exercise: One game, two gym - not bad, but...

No comments: