Thursday 4 December 2008

Stupid shorts and hats

It's undeniably bloody freezing, and who could blame touch judges for wearing full tracksuits and gloves at last night's Barbarians v Australia match at Wembley. I don't!

Given the choice, I would have worn a base layer, thermals, kit, more thermals and then a tracksuit. I've lost count of the number of times my hands have refused to work when refereeing because it's so cold. Even putting your hands in your pocket to note a score is painful.

But hark - the murmurings from the "old guard" - wear gloves? A tracksuit? God grief, surely not? In my day..... blah, blah.

It divides opinion in officiating circles, after all, image is everything. Generally speaking, it's a no-no to cycling shorts visible beneath shorts, but a base layer under your shirt is OK. And God forbid anyone who referees while wearing a support bandage, ankle-style boots or keeps a pencil tucked in their sock. (I have my own idea of where I can stick a pencil.)

But when you're on the line, a little more sympathy is allowed. So it's a yes for a tracksuit and gloves, but a beanie hat would send shivers down the corridors of Twickenham, after all, we're British (but with that, slightly stubborn).

However, which IRB nut came up with idea to design shorts with a "pouch" for sticking your cards in down the front? Every time one of the officials in this autumn's international spell reached for his cards, he looked like he was 1) adjusting himself, 2) warming his hands up.

Cards and scorebook in pockets, watch on wrist and as for the pencil? I'll leave that to your imagination...

No comments: