Sunday 31 January 2010

Not again...

Just when you thought it was safe to pick up the whistle and get in a run of games following the drought over the last two months, "match postponed" strikes again.

Given that the match I was appointed to this weekend was in Yorkshire (and I live in Somerset), I set off on Friday evening and after three hours drive up the M5 and M42 (through numerous 50mph restrictions and the occasional bottle neck), settled in for the night in a Premier Inn somewhere off the M1.

On the way up, the home club had rung to inform me that a hard frost was forecast overnight and that a pitch inspection was to take place at 9am. If I heard nothing, I was "green for go" and given that it was 10pm and I was, well knackered, I went out like a light.

In the morning, 9am came and went, as did my breakfast, and - with the time fast approaching 11am - it was back in the car for the remaining two hours north.

And then it happened; just before noon the phone rang and the caller bore bad news. The 9am pitch inspection was inconclusive and, with the forecast for sun and a temperature increase, the club held out for another inspection at 11.30am.

You can guess the rest. "Sorry, we're going to have to call the game off".

Not that you can blame the club. They desperately wanted to host the game as they'd lost three already over the the last two months. Lost home games mean lost revenue, something no club can afford in the present climate.

It's gutting to have a game postponed so close to kick-off; referees look forward to matches just as much as players, but for me it meant a three/four hour drive back south.

Since December 12th, I have refereed two league fixtures from seven weekends. I drove to Devon to postpone a match on arrival after the pitch was unfit and had another two fixtures fall foul of the weather.

But, as they say, there's nowt you can do about it - the weather's the weather and to be frank, I'm fed up with this continued cold snap and want things back to normal please.

Bring back the typical wet and windy British weather - bring back some rugby.

No comments: