Wednesday 26 November 2008

Dubai or Combe Down?

Who needs Dubai when you've got Somerset?

The last week of Novemeber and as yet I have no idea what awaits me Saturday as I'm on the "reserve" list. Part of me hopes I don't get a call up to cover an injured/sick colleague as that means travelling anywhere in the south west region, but, as I didn't get to ruin anybody's weekend last Saturday (family commitments), I feel the urge to go out there this weekend - hopefully it won't mean travelling to far, thou.

And that's because I'm off to The Stoop on Sunday to cover the Harlequins v Bath game for the Bath Chronicle. It will also provide an opportunity to watch the referee - Martin Fox. It becomes a habit when you're a referee yourself, you end up watching the official and not the game. (Take up the whistle and you'll know exactly what I mean).

This weekend also sees the first of the IRB 7s in Dubai and I was hoping to be out there as part of the team officiating in the women's tournament, but alas I wasn't selected as the powers that be have selected some up-and-coming referees to peruse ahead of the 7s World Cup in Dubai in March 2009. Fingers crossed for selection in March then!

And so, for those that care, I didn't get to hear "but ref, I was on my feet" or "ref, they're offside all the time" at all last weekend - oh how I miss that, but I did go training (twice) and consumed a low level of alcholic units.

Oh, and here's hoping England don't suffer the hammering I fear they may get against the All Blacks at Twickenham this Saturday... ever the optimist!

No comments: